Lemon Rice Recipe
Popular south Indian dish
Lemon rice which is easy to cook and very versatile dish
- 1 cup of long grain RiceBasmati
- 2 tbsp Oil
- A pinch of AsafoetidaHing
- 1 tsp Mustard seedsSarson
- 1/2 cup Curry leaveskadhi patta
- 1 whole Red Chiliessabut laal mirch
- 1 tsp Turmeric PowderHaldi Powdered
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Split Black Gramurad dal
- 1 tsp Split Bengal gramchana dal
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
What is Lemon Rice?
Lemon rice is a popular south Indian dish which is very easy to prepare. Also known as Chithrana and Nimmakaya Pulihora, this dish is very versatile and can be eaten as main as well as a side dish. It is a simple and tangy rice preparation flavoured with rice and spiced with mustard, curry leaves, and whole red chili.
Special tips to make Lemon rice recipe
- Always use fresh lemons in order to make refreshing and delicious lemon rice. You can also use large lemons or limes as they are very flavourful.
- In this recipe, we have used long grain rice, but any rice variety goes well with this recipe. You can also take short grain rice, but it should be less starchy.
- You can easily cook this recipe by putting together leftover rice. Just squeeze some lemon and add a few more ingredients and stir fry it. Your recipe will be ready in just 5 minutes.
Wash the rice a few times and cook them in a large pot or pan with 2.5 cups of water. Also, add some salt in the cooking rice as per taste. You can also cook rice in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
Once the rice is cooked thoroughly, add 1 tsp of ghee and lemon juice evenly on it and mix it well without breaking the grain. You can adjust the salt as needed.
Take a pan and heat some ghee or oil in it. Add mustard seeds in it and allow it to sputter. Add up asafoetida, curry leaves, ginger, red chili, green chili, peanuts, chana dal, urad dal. Saute them well. Fry these dals till until golden.
Add 1-2 tbsps of water in order to soften the roasted dal and give a gentle stir. Once water is evaporated. Add turmeric powder and sauté it well.
Add cooked rice in the mixture and toss it a few times, so the rice gets mixed ultimately. Turn off the flame and keep the rice covered in the pan for 10-15 minutes.
Your lemon rice is ready, garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with curd or pickle.
|1 cup of long grain Rice|
|2 tbsp Oil|
|A pinch of Asafoetida|
|1 tsp Mustard seeds|
|1/2 cup Curry leaves|
|1 whole Red Chilies|
|1 tsp Turmeric Powder|
|1 tsp Salt|
|2 tbsp lemon juice|
|2 tbsp Coriander Leaves|
|2 tbsp Peanuts|
|1 tsp Split Black Gram|
|1 tsp Split Bengal gram|
|1/2 tsp Ginger|